Avengers Cookies: The Snack of Superheroes
One of the most important lessons I communicate to my clients is that eating a wholesome, balanced diet doesn’t mean sacrificing taste… or even treats! You can incorporate healthy snacks that are nourishing and delicious into your meal plan.
That’s why I like to recommend Avengers Cookies. Named after the powerful team of heroes that protects the earth from evil, Avengers Cookies combine several superfoods into one all-star recipe:
Flax Meal. Flaxseeds are the number-one food source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are vital to cardiovascular health. These acids also prevent inflammatory conditions, such as arthritis and asthma, from plaguing your body. Though flax is a seed, flax meal consists of ground-up seeds for use in cooking, and it is stable at oven temperatures. Like the tiny but mighty seeds, flax meal contains lignans, a fiber-like material that supports the digestive tract and improves nutrient absorption.
Coconut Oil. A plentiful source of healthy fats, coconut oil is also rich in lauric acid. Your body converts lauric acid to monolaurin. This compound boasts antiviral, antimicrobial, and antifungal properties that support your immune system.
Chia Seeds. Cultivated as a food staple in South America at least as far back as the Aztec civilization, chia seeds are another prime source of omega-3 fatty acids. They also help regulate blood sugar, slowing down the conversion of carbohydrates into simple sugar. Additional evidence indicates chia seeds can help reduce blood pressure.
The Avengers Cookies will defend your body from threats of hunger, fluctuating blood sugar levels, and inflammation. Health-conscious heroes or heroines are recommended to use them as great pre-battle snacks… or the perfect post-gym pick-me-up.
1 cup coconut oil
1 ½ cups coconut sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ¼ cups oat flour
1 teaspoon guar gum
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 tablespoon flax meal
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 cup chocolate chips
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together coconut oil, eggs, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix until ingredients are creamy and thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together oat flour, guar gum, chia seeds, flax meal, baking soda, and sea salt.
- Using a rubber spatula, mix your dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips. Allow dough to chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- While oven is heating, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and portion out the cookie dough using a small scoop.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Recipe by Harrison Regan and Tricia Williams
Author: Tricia Williams
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.