Women and Autoimmunity:
Understanding the Connection and Targeting Treatment
Presented on September 12, 2018
In this webinar, Dr Blum will review the underlying triggers for autoimmunity, including hormonal issues specific to women. She will explain how to begin healing your immune system using food, mind-body medicine, healing the gut microbiome, supporting detoxification, and balancing hormones.
This webinar presented by noted dietitian nutritionist, Susan Blum, MD, MPH is the first in a series of Food As Medicine webinars presented by The Center for Mind-Body Medicine and hosted by leading nutrition author, speaker and integrative nutritionist Kathie Madonna Swift, MS, RDN, LDN.
During this webinar, you will learn:
- Why estrogen is a powerful immunomodulator.
- The role of hormones in driving autoimmunity and how to re-balance them to improve immune health.
- How food triggers inflammation and the best guidelines for choosing food.
- The importance of the gut microbiome in driving immune issues, and how to heal your gut.
- The role of toxins and infections in triggering autoimmunity and what you can do to lower your toxin load and treat infections.
Susan Blum, MD, MPH
Susan Blum, MD, MPH an Assistant Clinical Professor in the Department of Preventive Medicine at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, has been treating, healing and preventing chronic diseases for nearly two decades. A Preventive Medicine and Chronic Disease Specialist, Dr. Blum is the Founder and Director of Blum Center for Health in Rye Brook, New York, where she leads a multi-specialty team of physicians, nurse practitioners, nutritionists and health coaches, all providing cutting edge Functional and Integrative Medicine services.
In her first best-selling book, The Immune System Recovery Plan (Scribner; 2013), Dr. Blum offers her four-step program, which she has used to help thousands of patients recover from autoimmune and immune-related conditions without medication. Dr. Blum’s second book, Healing Arthritis (Scribner; 2017) offers a ground-breaking approach to helping arthritis sufferers reverse and heal this condition.
Dr. Blum is Board Certified in Preventive Medicine and Certified in both Functional Medicine and Integrative and Holistic Medicine. She is a member of the Medical Advisory Board for The Dr. Oz Show, the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, and is Senior Teaching Faculty with the Center for Mind-Body Medicine in Washington, D.C. and teaches throughout the world in their training programs. She is also on the Board of Directors for the True Health Initiative, and on the Scientific Advisory Board for Genomind, a Medical Biotech Company.
Dr. Blum approaches medicine—and her life—from a whole-body perspective, incorporating all facets of wellness into every aspect. Following her passion for nutrition, she co-founded Organic Pharmer, a grab-and-go, functional food and juice eatery, with delivery available nationwide, and puts these principles into practice by beginning each day with a 20-minute meditation, a green smoothie made from the contents of her garden and a walk on her country road with her dog, Trixie.
Susan S. Blum, MD, MPH
CMBM Faculty Member &
Founder and Director
Blum Center for Health
About Kathie Madonna Swift, MS, RDN, LDN, FAND
Kathie Madonna Swift, MS, RDN, LDN, FAND, EBQ
Kathie Swift, MS, RDN, LDN, FAND, EBQ is the co-founder of the Integrative and Functional Nutrition Academy, www.IFNAcademy.com, a comprehensive, online, educational program for dietitians interested in functional medicine.
Notable in her dietetic career, Kathie has served as the Education Director for the Center for Mind Body Medicine’s highly acclaimed Food As Medicine professional training program for almost two decades.
Kathie is the co-author of The Inside Tract: Your Good Gut Guide to Health with Dr. Gerard Mullin. Her most recent book, The Swift Diet: 4 Weeks to Mend the Belly, Lose the Weight, and Get Rid of the Bloat, with co-author Joseph Hooper features the latest science on the microbiome. Connect with Kathie at www.kathieswift.com
Food As Medicine for Women’s Health
Kathie will join James Gordon, MD and leaders in the worldwide movement for women’s health to present everything you need to know about using food to promote health and prevent and treat illness on May 19-24, 2019 at Esalen Institute in Big Sur, CA.
Food As Medicine for Women’s Health Webinar Series
This is the first webinar in The Center for Mind-Body Medicine’s Food As Medicine for Women’s Health Webinar Series. Join us for the entire series:
- September 12, 2018 12:30-1:30 PM ET – Women and Autoimmunity: Understanding the Connection and Targeting Treatment presented by Susan Blum, MD, MPH
- October 25, 2018 12:30-1:30 PM ET – Using Nutrition to Help Prevent Cancer and Cancer Recurrence in Women, Joel Evans, MD
- November 13, 2018 12:30-1:30 PM ET – Irritable Bowel Syndrome by Robynne Chutkan, MD
- January 3, 2019 12:30-1:30 PM ET – Fitting in Fitness and Movement by Monique Class, NP
- February 27, 2019 at 12:30-1:30 PM ET – Busy lives, Kitchen Solutions by Marti Wolfson, MS
- March, 2019 – Healing the Healer by Aviva Room, MD
- April, 2019 – Culinary Herbs for Women’s Health by Catherine McConkie, NC
Thank you to the Scheidel Foundation for support of the Food As Medicine for Women’s Health Webinar Series.