- How meditation can be used to balance your physiology and psychology, to quiet the immune-inhibiting fight or flight and stress responses, and to decrease your anxiety and enhance your mood.
- How you can use guided imagery to maximize the effectiveness of your immune response as well as to help you make wise decisions about the challenges that confront you.
- How exercise and active expressive meditations can be used to lift your mood, decrease your anxiety, and lighten the emotional load that burdens many of us.
- How the trauma-healing diet can be used to repair the trauma damaged gastrointestinal system, decrease your level of stress and vulnerability to inflammation, and maximize your immune response.
- How you can more easily reach out to others and create emotionally supportive, health promoting, healing connections.
- And more….
In Transforming Trauma, Dr. Gordon answers these questions and delivers an inviting narrative that allows readers to easily use his step-by-step evidence-based program—which so many others have used—to reverse the psychological and biological damage that trauma causes, and to restore their hope and heal themselves.
This is a field-tested approach to whole health.
In his role as the Founder and Chief Executive Officer of The Center for Mind-Body Medicine (CMBM), Dr. Gordon has created and implemented what may well be the world’s largest and most effective program for healing population-wide trauma. He and his 145 international faculty have brought this program to populations as diverse as refugees from wars in the Balkans, the Middle East, and Africa; firefighters and U.S. military personnel and veterans and their families; student/ parent/teacher school shooting survivors; and Native American children and their families—as well as stressed out professionals, stay-at-home mothers, inner-city children, White House officials, health professionals and medical students, and people struggling with severe emotional and physical illnesses.
Dr. James Gordon is a Harvard-trained psychiatrist, former researcher at the National Institute of Mental Health and, Chair of the White House Commission on Complementary and Alternative Medicine Policy, and a clinical professor of Psychiatry and Family Medicine at Georgetown Medical School. He authored or edited ten previous books, including Unstuck: Your Guide to the Seven-stage Journey Out of Depression. He has written often for numerous popular publications including The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Atlantic, and The Guardian, as well as in professional journals. He has served as an expert for such outlets as 60 Minutes, the Today how, Good Morning America, CBS Sunday Morning, Nightline, CNN, MSNBC, NPR and many others.